The Private Equity Illusion

Posted on Tuesday, December 7th, 2010

Imagine this.  A private equity firm puts together 73 funds over a number of years with each one lasting 10 years. Funding occurs over the first 5 years of the life of each fund with distributions occurring the last 5.  All but 2 make money, the average total return being over 150%.  Better yet, over the last decade, not one fund loses money, having an average total return of just over 140%.  Sound too good to be true?  It’s not.  But most investors would salivate at this opportunity.  I can give it to you right now, and you don’t have to pay me exorbitant management fees plus a percentage of profits.  So how can I do this?  It’s called MATH.

Let me explain.

Dollar cost averaging is one of the most powerful investing tools.  Put money in over time, and it matters less what the markets do, because if they go down, you just buy in at lower prices.  For example, the S&P 500 10 year total return the last decade was -9%, but if you had put in equal amounts over 10 years, your total return would have been +5%, a 14% difference.

What do private equity funds do?  They ask for your money over time as they find opportunities to invest your money in.  And by doing that, they get the benefit of dollar cost averaging.  Since investors are probably not tracking what the money would have done elsewhere, they tend to evaluate the private equity fund in isolation.

So how have real private equity funds done?  It seems not any better than managers of public equity funds.  A recent WSJ article goes into some detail.  Still the cache of being in an exclusive “club” that supposedly can give market returns without market risk continues to draw investors.

So are you still wondering what my mythical fund was?  It’s not mythical.  It’s the DFA Targeted Value Index, a small/mid cap value index which DFA’s real namesake fund is patterned after.  The returns were based on 83 years of data with each “fund” based on a decade of returns starting in 1928.  And here’s some good news – if you work with us, you’re likely in the fund now.

WBFG obtains historical and other information from a wide variety of publicly available sources. We have taken all reasonable care and precaution to ensure that the information is fair and accurate, or has been compiled from sources believed to be reliable. Nevertheless, we do not make any representations or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or fitness for any purpose or use of the information. The information may not in all cases be current and it is subject to continuous change. Accordingly, you should not rely on any of the information as authoritative or a substitute for the exercise of your own skill and judgment in making any investment or other decision. We shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss arising from any use of or reliance on the information from this article. WBFG and its affiliates do not have, nor claim to have, sources of inside or privileged information regarding expected future returns on any investment proposed. The recommendations developed by WBFG are based upon the professional judgment of WBFG and its individual advisory affiliates and neither WBFG nor its affiliates can guarantee the results of any of their recommendations. Clients at all times may elect unilaterally to follow or ignore completely, or in part, any information, recommendation, or advice given by WBFG and its affiliates. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

© 2018 Windham Brannon Financial Group, LLC | Terms & Conditions | Client Disclosures | Windham Brannon